Beginning as an engineer, Eric Enge slowly found his way into the world of SEO. Learning from his family of university professors, Eric developed a teaching edge in the engineering industry which eventually led to his future career in marketing. But, Eric’s most notable award will always be winning the 1985 foosball world championship (Greg’s dream).
Eric Enge is a US Search Personality of the Year winner, Landy Awards: Search Marketer of the Year winner, co-author of The Art of SEO, founder of Next10x Digital Marketing Conference, former founder and CEO of Stone Temple, and currently a general manager of Perficient Digital. Eric is also a columnist and contributor to Forbes, Search Engine Land, Search Engine Watch, Copyblogger, Moz, Marketing Land, and Social Media Today.
What is the key to success?
- Hire people that are smarter than you and have skills that you don’t. This helps fill in the gaps and build a valuable team.
What should people expect from the NEXT10X Digital Marketing Conference?
- It’s a digital marketing/content marketing/SEO/social media marketing conference. We have highly curated speakers like Martin Splitt, Ben Morss, and Ann Handley. The conference takes place on May 2nd, 2019 in The Colonnade Hotel, Boston, MA.
Eric in Action:
Personal Twitter: @stonetemple
1. What was the biggest mistake you made in your digital marketing career?
- Our company had too much arrogance with a big client and we lost the deal.
2. What is the hardest thing about running an agency?
- People management. You have to constantly make an effort to keep your employees’ skills up to date, make sure they have a clear understanding of expectations, keep them engaged and energized, and making sure that everyone is getting what they want out of the job.
3. What book/blog/website has had the biggest impact on your career?
4. What is the most important factor to be successful in any career?
- A constant curiosity and desire to learn because it’s ever-changing.