Right out of college, Joe Martinez lived his dream as a professional radio DJ. But after a career change, DJ S.A was retired and he ended up accepting a job in the Kohl’s buying office for the next five years. While there, Joe became intrigued when a friend of his started talking about her job at a marketing agency. Six years after college, Martinez started an entry-level position at a digital marketing agency and found where he belonged.
“That is the most rewarding part of this job, helping other businesses succeed.” -Joe Martinez
Now the Director at Clix Marketing, Joe is a thought leader in the paid search space, a PPC innovator, and a dynamic speaker: writing and speaking for publications such as Search Engine Land, Marketing Land, Word Stream, SMX, PPC Hero, Hero Conference, Quora, SEM Rush, Pubcon, and Unbounce.
Joe in Action:
1.What advice would you give yourself 10 years ago?
- Double major in college or at least try other classes to learn as much as I could.
- Seek out more training.
- Find other people to reach out and network with.
2.What’s your biggest mistake in your digital marketing career?
- Not testing enough.
3.What are the pros and cons of working at an agency?
- PROS: The people you get to work with and how much you learn.
- CONS: You can’t do everything you want to do and you might get stuck waiting for things due to communication issues.
4.What are the pros and cons of working from home?
- PROS: A more relaxing environment and I get to be with my kids more.
- CONS: Some people might get lonely even though I don’t have that problem.
5.What book/blog/website had the biggest impact on your career?
6.Your favorite speakers that are a must see for you?
- Anyone from Bounteous Data.
7.What’s the most important factor of succeeding in the digital marketing industry?
- Staying on top of everything new that comes out and embracing those changes.