Right out of college, Joe Martinez lived his dream as a professional radio DJ. But after a career change, DJ S.A was retired and he ended up accepting a job in the Kohl’s buying office for the next five years. While there, Joe became intrigued when a friend of his started talking about her job at a marketing agency. Six years after college, Martinez started an entry-level position at a digital marketing agency and found where he belonged.
“That is the most rewarding part of this job, helping other businesses succeed.” -Joe Martinez
Now the Director at Clix Marketing, Joe is a thought leader in the paid search space, a PPC innovator, and a dynamic speaker: writing and speaking for publications such as Search Engine Land, Marketing Land, Word Stream, SMX, PPC Hero, Hero Conference, Quora, SEM Rush, Pubcon, and Unbounce.
Listen to last week’s digital marketing news in Marketing O’Clock episode 59, Video Plays its way into Google Responsive Display Ads – Ep. 59 >
Joe in Action:
1.What advice would you give yourself 10 years ago?
- Double major in college or at least try other classes to learn as much as I could.
- Seek out more training.
- Find other people to reach out and network with.
2.What’s your biggest mistake in your digital marketing career?
- Not testing enough.
3.What are the pros and cons of working at an agency?
- PROS: The people you get to work with and how much you learn.
- CONS: You can’t do everything you want to do and you might get stuck waiting for things due to communication issues.
4.What are the pros and cons of working from home?
- PROS: A more relaxing environment and I get to be with my kids more.
- CONS: Some people might get lonely even though I don’t have that problem.
5.What book/blog/website had the biggest impact on your career?
6.Your favorite speakers that are a must see for you?
- Anyone from Bounteous Data.
7.What’s the most important factor of succeeding in the digital marketing industry?
- Staying on top of everything new that comes out and embracing those changes.