July 27th, 2018
You know what time it is! It’s Marketing O’Clock with Greg Finn and Jess Budde. Watch this episode to get your weekly dose of the biggest news from the digital marketing industry this week.
There were tons of cool new developments in the industry this week. Our main stories include news from a new Google Assitant “speakable” property, Facebook launches Watch Party, New landing page parameters, Smart Displays and much more! We also have our lightning round where we quickly recap some more updates, like Chrome telling users HTTP sites are NOT secure and feature our “Must Read Marketing Article Of The Week.” There is a lot of updates this week so make sure you tune in and subscribe to our YouTube channel to stay informed, updated and entertained each week. All articles & resources discussed are in the links below, so feel free to check them out!
Must Read Marketing Article Of The Week:
- How to Use Google Keyword Planner in 2018 (and Beyond) by Joshua Hardwick
What we’ve got lined up for this week’s main Marketing O’Clock news:
- Hey Google, what’s the latest news?
- New structured data specifications called “speakable” are allowing you to ask your Google Assitant news related queries and have it read an article section back to you. You can then decide if you want to read it yourself.
- Watch Party Launches Around the World
- Grab your friends, family, co-workers anyone from anyway and sit down to watch Facebook videos together! Watch Party allows users group leaders to host Q&A’s about certain subjects, tips or tutorials. Facebook may also expand this feature to people outside of groups as well!
- New developer requirements to protect our platform
- Twitter is taking additional steps to protect their platform from spam and other malicious automation and anything that threatens the invasion of privacy.
- New landing page parameter options available in Google Ads
- There are two new changes in landing page parameters to make it easier to specify parameters.
- New ads.txt-only inventory control in Display & Video 360
- This new ads.txt will help increase transparency in the digital advertising space and help combat unauthorized and domain-spoofed inventory being sold in the industry.
- Facebook lost one million monthly active users to GDPR
- GDPR hit Facebook hard with a major loss of users.
- Designing for the Google Assistant on Smart Displays
- These Smart Displays allow you to build visual displays for voice-centric Actions. From carousel images to custom themes to help express your brand, this new Smart Display system gives you new ways to present users with audio or visual components through Google Assistant. Available in stores now!
- Now you can “follow” neighborhoods to keep tabs on the areas you love.
- Search these areas remotely and find information on favorite restaurants and other places to explore!
- Chrome starts telling users HTTP sites are not secure
- It is finally here. Chrome will now officially start warning users if your site is not secure by adding a label of text that says “not secure.”